Sunday, January 16, 2011

That Boy From Tupelo

Thanks to Tim and Annie Akins, I have Elvis on my mind tonight. So, I figure that's as good a subject as any to blog about because Elvis is indeed another one of those things (or, in this case, people) that make me smile.

If you don't know them, Tim and Annie are a very talented singing duo that hail from Brunswick. They provided the live music at the Golden Isles Bridal Fair where I was working today. I know Tim and Annie on a personal basis and have heard them perform in concerts at the St. Simons Lighthouse. They sing all manner of music from bluesy soul to beach music to contemporary Christian. But this afternoon Tim completely surprised me by channeling the late, great Elvis Presley in a terrific rendition of "Don't Be Cruel." Tim's imitation of The King was absolutely spot-on. If I had closed my eyes, I would have sworn that Gladys and Vernon's boy was alive and well on Jekyll Island. I was utterly amazed and instantly filled with absolute glee! I clapped my hands together and squealed -- yes, possibly out loud -- with delight while Annie laughed at my excitement.

Now I have to admit, I haven't always been an Elvis fan. Elvis was sitting down with an audience to film the 1968 Comeback Special just a month before I was born. When he died in 1977, I had just turned 9 years old. So the Elvis that I "knew" was that bloated-looking guy in the spangled jumpsuits who did weird karate moves and was always wiping off his sweaty face with a towel. Not terribly impressive. I really didn't get why everyone thought he was such a big deal. Two things changed my opinion: the Elvis Christmas album and Viva Las Vegas

At some point after Elvis' death, I remember coming across an Elvis album (yes, album, meaning a vinyl LP) in my parents' record collection. I thought this was rather strange, because neither one of them ever professed any love for Elvis, nor could I ever remember them listening to Elvis music. But there was the Elvis Christmas album, and it just begged to be played. I loved it and Christmas has never been the same. Elvis' "Blue Christmas" and "Santa Claus is Back in Town" are as much a part of a Christmas tradition in my house as Santa himself. Everyone who spends any time with me during the holiday season knows this to be true. The Elvis Christmas album will be played while I decorate the Christmas tree. This tradition has even followed me to my friends' houses and to the office.

My discovery of Elvis movies happened by accident, it was when TBS or TNT used commemorate his birthday or the anniversary of his death with an Elvis movie marathon. I started watching and I was hooked. I was impressed with Jailhouse Rock, amused by Blue Hawaii, and dazzled by Viva Las Vegas. His chemistry with Ann-Margret was fun to watch, and I became a sucker for these cheesy musicals. While there are a few than even I find hard to watch, like Kissin' Cousins, I've pretty much seen them all. I can even tell you that it was a young Kurt Russell that Elvis paid to kick him in the shin so he could meet the cute girl doc in It Happened at the World's Fair.

So, there you have it. I'm an Elvis fan. Except I'm really a pre-sequined jumpsuit Vegas Elvis fan. "Alright Mama" will always be one of my very favorite Elvis songs. I prefer that young, raw talent and enthusiasm more than the more seasoned studio-polished classics like "Suspicious Minds" or "In the Ghetto." So when Tim channeled that boy from Tupelo today, I just couldn't help but grin with undisguised delight. It was like there was a little bit of Graceland right here in the Golden Isles, and for that, all I can say is "Thank ya. Thank ya verra much."

2 comments:

  1. My very first experience with dancing (and anyone who knows me knows my obsession with loving to dance) was at a 4th grade birthday party at Linda Wolanske's house. We were pinning the tail on the donkey and having ghastly orange soda with even ghastlier pink birthday cake with boiled frosting (Boiled frosting is thankfully a thing of the long ago past, hideously sweet, it often acted on me as a powerful emetic))--when in came Linda Wolanske's older sister and a couple of girl friends. They were in 7th grade and they were so utterly cool, with their pencil skirts, bobby socks and saddle shoes,sleek pony tails, round collared blouses.
    They put a 45 on the record player and invited us kids to learn how to dance rock'n'roll. How exciting! The Forbidden Dance!!
    Elvis sang Blue Suede Shoes and Don't Be Cruel, and I learned not only how to dance, but also in a minute's time became a teenager, a music lover, and wonderfully worldly.
    Hearing those songs now bring me back to Linda Wolanske's cement-floor basement, a time that was innocent and perfect compared to the harsh reality of Now, and I feel the giddiness of knowing just where my feet and arms and hips should be even though it was my very first time, dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathi, for the kind mention, and for sharing your Elvis memories. Tim says his are very nearly the same as yours. And though "Harum Scarum" should never have been shown in public, you can't leave "Fun in Acapulco" (with Ursula Andress) off of the "good" Elvis films list.

    There's still no one else in the world that can give that smoldering, sexy look with that pouty grin. But since I don't expect The King to be in the building any time soon, I'll send Tim over to serenade you next Christmas with his version of "Blue Christmas," "Santa Claus is Back in Town," and "Santa Bring My Baby Back to Me." You'll think Santa stuffed your stocking with Col. Parker's protege.

    ReplyDelete