Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Summer of Love

The summer of 1988 changed my life forever. That was the summer that I studied in the Loire Valley of France. I used this amazing opportunity to visit places like Paris, Barcelona, Valencia, Cologne, Brussels and Brugge. That time had a profound effect on me. I was surrounded by art, history, culture, and a dizzying array of new experiences. I made friends with fellow students and travelers from all over the world. I also fell utterly and completely in love.

A summer fling, you're thinking, hardly a surprise. But no, it was much more than that. The deep affection and unconditional love I felt then has never wavered. I had a taste of the exotic, a delicious departure from the ordinary, and I would never again be satisfied by less. Nothing else was quite the same. The loss I felt when I returned to the States was keen, but eventually faded into pangs of nostalgia.

Time passed, yet memories remained. And one joyous day I was lucky enough to rediscover my love. To my surprise, a flame that never died was rekindled. A hunger that nothing else could satisfy could once again be sated. And I will never let go...

Thank God for Nutella USA!

4 comments:

  1. LOL LOL LOL

    Our daughter had a wonderful experience after high school and was in Germany when she discovered Nutella; not only was she hooked, she brought that exotic taste home to her Momma. Wonder if I can work that into Weight Watchers!!??

    ReplyDelete
  2. We discovered & fell in love with Nutella when we visited our son during his semester abroad in Brussels. As SSIsland Girl said above, it's tough to meld Nutella with Weight Watchers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, Leslie, I didn't post the first comment, but I have a sneaking suspicion I know who did! And, for your information, ladies, a spoonful of nutella is 5 pts on the Weight Watchers point system, according to my internet sources.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was perfect. You don't see the photo or the last line til you scroll down. The a-ha moment comes when you realize this steamy, sensuous post is about Nutella! Well done.

    ReplyDelete