Saturday, January 15, 2011

I'll Follow the Sun

Today was an absolutely gorgeous, sunny day. A smile touched my lips every time I went outside because it was simply glorious, especially in light of the recent frigid temperatures.

I realized several years ago what a difference sunshine makes in my mood. Living for so many years in the Midwest, I became accustomed to cold, gray, dreary winters. Even if there wasn't snow, it seemed that the days were monochromatic. Everything took on a steely hue. When there was snow, it quickly became dirty and salt and sludge were everywhere. The winter months--which seemed to last forever--were just depressing.

When I moved to New Jersey, I discovered that we experienced many more days of sunshine (and higher temperatures) per year. It was a meteorologic fact. I felt happier. I had more energy. I didn't feel the need to hole up and hibernate until spring returned. The grey days were much fewer and far between and didn't have such a profound effect.

Down here in Coastal Georgia, we have even more sunshine on average. My mood is instantly lifted when I wake to blue skies and rays of sun filtering through the Spanish moss that drapes the tree in front of my window. My office has a wall of windows that I gaze out of often throughout the day. I can't help but smile when I get to look out on a sun-kissed world. I want to walk to somewhere nearby for lunch and can't wait to get out in it. When it's overcast or rainy, I'm just glad to be inside and will try at any costs to avoid going out if I don't have to.

And then there's the beach. Is there anything more perfect than seeing the sun rise or set over the water? I sincerely don't think so. It is in those moments of pure beauty that I see God. The sun reflecting off the water creates a light that penetrates straight to my soul. I am so blessed to live in a place where such moments are commonplace.

Walt Whitman said, "Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you." I believe that is wise counsel, so, in the words of the Beatles, "I'll follow the sun."





1 comment:

  1. I'll follow the sun with you Kathi! I'm not a morning person, but presented with the sun rising over the eastern marsh as I look out my bedroom windows, I am instantly energized and encouraged at the prospects for the day.

    Momma Bear

    ReplyDelete