Saturday, January 1, 2011

365 Days of Smiles

Happy New Year! It's 2011 and I've decided to do something that has been languishing on my "to-do" list: start a blog. As a writer/editor, it's probably something I should have done long ago. Every writer is encouraged to use a daily journal, and, while I enjoy writing, I don't think I've practiced that exercise since Mr. Langlas' classes at Wheaton North. So, here goes...

365 Days of Smiles

A few days before the New Year began, I made a resolution to share at least one thing that makes me smile each day. One of my friends commented that I am "famous" for my smile, and I know that people have told me that I'm always smiling, so I figure sharing the reasons for my smiles is a good enough place to begin.

First and foremost, I will share that there is one thing -- actually one person -- that makes me smile every day: my son, Declan.


From that big freckled face grin, to his infectious laugh, to the giggle hiding in those blue eyes, this child is the main reason that my face lights up every day and for the laugh that comes from my belly. He is smart and funny and constantly says and does things that amuse and entertain me. That being said, there are so many moments each day that I catch myself smiling at some random thought or something I experience, this is where I'm beginning my catalog.

Those pre-2011 things that make me smile items that I listed included singer/musician Jason Mraz, hearing the bells from St. William chiming at noon and the possibility of finding a blown-glass ball on Jekyll Island in January. My first phone call of 2011 was my son calling to wish me Happy New Year and to make sure Cruncher, the voice-activated robot dinosaur he got for Christmas, could also do the same. Yes, Cruncher does talk. Listening to the dinosaur on the phone definitely made me laugh.

What's so important about smiling? It's sort of like counting my blessings. Being aware of things that make me smile is a way for me to embrace those things that make me happy. I truly believe that being happy is a conscious choice. Smiling makes you feel better. Greeting people with a smile will generally get you a smile in response. It can be just as effective as a kind word. Smiles are free, so spread them around. Rather than dwelling on negative things and worrying about what I don't have, I will instead focus on being grateful for what I do have and celebrating those things that make me smile.

So what's making me smile right now? Watching my dogs sleep. A cold Coca Cola with ice and a slice of lemon from the lemon tree in my backyard. Watching outdoor hockey being played in the rain at the 2011 NHL Winter Classic. Just the mention of Brendan Shanahan, one of my favorite hockey players of all time. The fact that I am finally starting a blog of my own. Knowing that there are so many new smiles to be discovered in 2011.

3 comments:

  1. Your famous smile is infectious. I became a huge fan of it three years ago. It radiates your inner happiness over simple things that are here now, right in front of our noses, which many of us tend to overlook as we scurry about worrying about yesterday and tomorrow. This is truly an enchanted island we live on, and there's so much to smile about — from taking to a dinosaur on the telephone to watching a football game. (Well, maybe that's not the best example today.) We are building our own realities moment by moment with the thoughts we think. Your reality is teeming with positivity...and smiles. What an inspiration! I think this blog is a terrific idea, and we, your teeming admirers, expect not a day to go by without hearing about something that makes you smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to see you smile, Kathi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun! Thanks for giving me new smiles every time I read. Oh and this is Ali Carlyle and this comment thing is a pain.

    ReplyDelete