Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Bright Side

My friend, Joe, told me when I started this blog that I should save up some entries to use for those days when I just don't have a smile. And, with a smile (of course) and a chuckle, I told him that I NEVER have a day without a smile. Well, I'll be darned if today hasn't turned out to be one of those kinds of days!

It's not to say I had a particularly bad day, or that I didn't smile today, it's just that I've ended up in kind of a funk tonight and am not feeling all that inspired now that it's time to write. But, with a little help from my friends (about whom I've already blogged a time or two) I've found my smile and a nice piece of advice too:


What I've found as the inspiration for my smile has also been the source of a great number of smiles for countless people for quite some time. I discovered Monty Python in college, and they never fail to make me laugh out loud. Mention the parrot who's not dead, just "pinin' for the fjords" and I'm already close to rolling on the floor. I love the knights that say "Ni," and know exactly what you mean by "nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more, say no more." On occasion, I'll even sing "The Lumberjack Song."

A couple years ago, I went to see "Spamalot" with my brothers in Chicago. It was fantastic! Even though you already know all the punchlines from "Holy Grail," the jokes are as funny, if not funnier, than the first time you heard/saw them. Even the coconut hoofbeats had tears of laughter streaming down my face.

So today, thank you Michael Palin, Eric Idle, John Cleese Graham Chapman, Terry Jones and Terry Gilliam for reminding me to "always look on the bright side of life." (And to my cousin Bryan for the suggestion that I do so.)


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment: