Saturday, February 5, 2011

Tell Me a Story

Raconter - "to tell a story" was the French word-a-day from my favorite blog this week and I've been doing a lot of writing both professionally and personally over the past few days, so it's got me thinking.

There was once a photo somewhere out there of me as a little 4 or 5 year-old girl, sitting in a big chair, reading to a group of other children at the pre-school I attended. The school used it to advertise. It is perhaps one of the earliest images to capture my spirit. I am a storyteller by nature. Whether reading stories written by others, discussing my own experiences, or sharing information, this is a gift I have been given. 

I love to tell stories. It's what I do on the job. I take information that I learn and turn it into something that someone else might find interesting to read. I also tell other people's stories. I meet people and turn the information that they share with me into a story about them. Storytelling is an art. There is a rhythm to it, a fluidity of words, and a lyricism of language. I love everything about it.

In my personal writing, such as this blog, I do the same. I relay the events in my life or my moods and emotions in a way in which other people can relate, rather than a catalog of activities or feelings. I enjoy choosing the perfect turn of phrase. I want my reader to have no doubt as to what is being expressed and I want to use language that draws the reader in. I want my words to make you feel. The seamless transition from the mind to the page is something very alluring to me.

As a reader, my attention can be captured by a great story. Great writing captures my heart. So, you want to seduce me? Tell me a story . . . and make it good. If you're lucky, I might tell you one too.  


1 comment:

  1. I can just see you perched on that chair reading to your classmates - great story!

    ReplyDelete