Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sleep, Blessed Sleep


Of late I have been plagued by restless nights of fitful slumber. Those awful nights where you wake up every couple of hours or can't get to sleep at all despite the fact that you are dead tired. Thankfully, those nights have finally passed and I am once again sleeping soundly. (I have had an occurrence or two where I have woken in a complete panic because my legs were pinned and I could not move, but quickly realized that having one 70+ pound dog sleeping on each side of me was the cause of this temporary paralysis.)

I generally blog right before I head to bed, so the return of blessed sleep actually caused me to miss a blog or two. Now, feeling fully rested, I will dedicate an entry to that wonderful state of unconsciousness: sleep! A good night's rest definitely makes me smile. I love a night filled with rich, colorful dreams that end only with the musical tones of the alarm clock in the morning. I cherish the mornings that I don't feel tired, but refreshed and happy to start a new day. I find I take sleep for granted and don't really feel thankful for a good night's rest until I have started to experience nights without it.

Aldous Huxley perhaps said it best: "That we are not much sicker and much madder than we are is due exclusively to that most blessed and blessing of all natural graces, sleep." And so, with that thought, I bid you all good night.


No comments:

Post a Comment