Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow

Today I'm happy that I'm not in one of the many regions that are being hit by Blizzard 2011. Unfortunately, my friends and family in the Midwest and East Coast are not as lucky. It seems the Chicago area is one of those who get the brunt of the system. I hope everyone stays safe and snug until it passes.

I've been berated for posting what a beautiful beach day we had on Sunday while this storm was looming over the heads of my dear ones. So, sorry guys, I got a little excited about the first really nice day that I could go walk on the beach and forgot what it feels like to be someone who lives with Winter. Remember I've only been here for 4 1/2 years, it's still kind of novel to me.

I assure you, I feel your pain. I spent years scraping ice off of cars, driving in salty slush, shoveling driveways and front walks, and bundling up so not an inch of skin would be exposed. I get it. I remember days walking across "The Tundra" to class in college, when the cold wind would freeze the tears it forced from your eyes. I remember a very scary life or death moment in a car that hit a patch of black ice on a highway and spun to face oncoming traffic. I remember whiteouts, windchill factors well below zero, and ice storms that weighed down trees and power lines. I have lived through many a snowstorm, and some were indeed called blizzards.

So, I apologize if it rubs you the wrong way when I celebrate the glorious weather I'm experiencing on a little barrier island in South Georgia. I understand, but I did my time and nothing makes me happier than not having to deal with snow in the winter anymore. If it makes you feel better, you can all tell me how lovely it is in the summer when I'm complaining about stifling heat and bugs. Right now, though, batten down your hatches and stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment