Monday, February 7, 2011

The Legend Still Lives


On February 6, 1945, in Jamaica, Robert Nesta Marley was born. He was only 36 years old when he died in 1981. It wasn't until I was in college that I discovered the music and wisdom of Bob Marley. The man who sang "One love. One heart. Let's get together and feel all right." had the right idea.

"Life is one big road with lots of signs.
So when you riding through the ruts,
don't complicate your mind. Flee from
hate, mischief and jealousy. Don't bury
your thoughts, put your vision to
reality. Wake up and live!"

I remember returning from school to my family's house during one summer break and my younger brother coming in to my room where Bob Marley played on my CD player. He told me he didn't mind the reggae, but he really didn't like the way Marley had ruined a perfectly good Eric Clapton song. The poor boy had yet to learn. Perhaps Clapton's version of "I Shot the Sheriff" was more successful or well-known, but it was still a cover of Marley's great song.

Bob Marley's music and his message were healing and unifying. He was a bright shining light that was lost too soon. His "Three Little Birds" is one of my very favorite songs to play to instantly cheer my mood. So, on the anniversary of his birthday, I pay homage to this remarkable man.  Happy Birthday, Bob.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE THIS KATHI

    I always put on my Bob Marley when I have an oyster roast and it makes me so happy and I HAVE to dance. Usually no one else even knows who Bob Marley is (my generation I think) but I don't give a hoot; I thought he was a genius.

    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete