Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Power of a Hug


On Monday, when I dropped Declan off at his classroom and turned to walk back down the hallway I was greeted by the wide open arms of a boy named Alexander. Alexander was in Declan's Kindergarten class and is a sweet little boy with a wonderful family. He has always come to me for hugs and I quite willingly give them. My face lit up to see that when Alexander glimpsed me from all the way at the other end of the hallway, he stretched his arms wide and came walking straight toward me. There is nothing I like more than extra hugs from children who aren't my own to start my day! 

So imagine my surprise when, upon seeing Alexander approaching me with outstretched arms, another little boy in the hallway -- this one I don't know at all -- also put his arms out and made a beeline to where I was crouched over to give Alexander his hug! I quickly opened my arms wider to encompass both boys and exclaimed, "Wow! Today I get two for one! What a deal!!" These two adorable little boys, full of unconditional love, made my day. I was delighted that I was the object of their affection that morning and I couldn't stop smiling. Even thinking about it now brings a smile. 

We do a lot of hugging at our house and I say share the love! Hugging is such a wonderful thing. It conveys joy, sympathy, understanding, love, and a myriad of other emotions without the need for words. Just to embrace another person's body in your arms is to share your heart for a moment. 

I will leave you with a poem about hugging written by Shel Silverstein. It says it all.

Hug O' War

I will not play at tug o' war
I'd rather play at hug o' war,
Where everyone hugs
Instead of tugs
Where everyone giggles
And rolls on the rug,
Where everyone kisses
And everyone grins
And everyone cuddles
And everyone wins.
 

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely love this Kathi and, as you know, I am a BIG hugger. I have a dear friend up north who is sometimes a bit embarrassed by my hugging approach and she explains me to her other friends..."Oh, y'all know Barbara is from the South".

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautifully said. From one hugger to another, it's the best gift you can share!

    ReplyDelete