Monday, March 28, 2011

You Are What You Eat?

At the beginning of the year, one of my friends began a "Garden of Eden" type diet that allowed him only to eat food in its raw form -- nothing processed or artificial. He ate a vast assortment of fruits and vegetables and he described making smoothies, shakes, ice cream and all sorts of healthy concoctions from all natural ingredients. I envied his ability to make this commitment and stay dedicated. I know I wouldn't have been that strong -- especially post-holidays, during football (junk food) season, and with family in town. He enjoyed the diet and did very well sticking to it. I, on the other hand, ate and drank what I wanted.

Yesterday I went grocery shopping to fill a sadly neglected pantry and refrigerator. I've been wanting salad, carrots, avocados, fresh vegetables, apples, bananas and all sorts of other fruit and have found my refrigerator to be woefully lacking. So I went nuts in the produce department and came home and filled my crispers with everything ranging from green beans to purple plums. I thought about my friend and his healthy diet and was pleased that I too was making some better decisions with food choices.

Today, I got a message from my friend telling me that he went to a local sweet shop this afternoon. When I replied that going to get ice cream there sounded pretty good, he told me that it isn't the ice cream that he likes at the sweet shop. Instead, he listed chocolate dipped rice krispy treats, buckeyes, fudge, and brownies as been the main attractions. He said he likes to believe that they are all organic and made with all natural products...right!

I thought the fact that I was stocking my fridge with fresh fruits and veggies while my "healthy" friend just indulged himself at the local sweet shop was pretty funny. Just enough irony there to merit a blog, I figured.

I spent a few hours tonight indulging as well at A Taste of Glynn, a big restaurant showcase/cook-off with plentiful food of both the healthy and non-healthy varieties. Perhaps one of my favorite culinary creations of the evening was avocado ice cream. It might sound strange but it was wonderful! Only fitting considering that it combines both the healthy and the unhealthy to make something absolutely delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment