Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Birthday in a Bar

I realized last night when looking over the blog entries that were so few and far between this month that I failed to observe a very important occasion with an entry, and I feel horrible about that. So, despite the fact that this entry is more than 3 weeks late, it is no less important than it would have been on the date it should have been posted: March 3.

The number 333 is magical. Three-three-oh-three is the date my son came into this world. And on Thursday, March 3, we celebrated Declan's 8th birthday at Ziggy's. That's right...Ziggy's.


Those of you who live here know Ziggy's as a popular bar and night spot. It's where people go to drink and dance 'til the wee hours of the morning. It is also where my child requested that we hold his birthday party...again. A bar? For a child's birthday party? Being the super cool mom that I am, of course I agreed it would be perfect! It makes me think of that scene in "Sweet Home Alabama" where Reese Witherspoon says to her old friend from high school, "Look at you, you've got a baby...in  a bar!" But really, that's not exactly how it is here...I mean this is Georgia, not Alabama, after all!

Once a month, Ziggy's has a Family Fun Night between 5-7pm. During that time, the owner puts on kid-friendly dance music like Hannah Montana, Taylor Swift and the Jonas Brothers, turns on the disco ball, and lets the kids go wild. There's family-friendly food and the grown-ups can enjoy adult beverages while the kids dance and run around. It's a great idea.

Last year, when we went to Family Fun Night in February, they announced that the next one would be March 3. Declan was thrilled to know that it would be on his birthday and asked me if we could be there for it. I didn't have to think too hard about it -- it's a ready-made party. All I would have to do is bring a cake, some birthday decorations and balloons, and send out special invitations to Declan's friends to join us there. This was a no-brainer. I okayed the plan with the bar's owners and Declan got to party like a rock star on his birthday. It was terrific!

This year, Ziggy's changed the night of the Family Fun Night, and once again it fell right on March 3. Declan asked if we could return to Ziggy's once again for his birthday party. I was on board with that idea immediately! I ordered a big cake enough to feed anyone who might attend, a big bouquet of balloons to decorate the table, and sent out invitations by hand and by internet to our friends. We had a blast once again thanks to the great staff at Ziggy's and our friends that showed up to join the fun.

So, yes, my son turned 8 this month. I can't believe it. I remember that day in the hospital like it was yesterday, but it also seems like a lifetime ago. I thank God every day for the blessing of this child in my life. I can barely remember life without Declan in it. He is the world to me. Even though we have both good days and bad, Declan does make me smile every single day. And that is why I am happy to indulge him by celebrating his birthday the way he wants to celebrate it...in a bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment