Monday, March 7, 2011

Mood Music

If you hadn't noticed, music is a key element in my life. I have an ever-changing soundtrack that reflects my mood. And if I need to change my mood, finding some tunes to fill the day's playlist is the best way for me to begin. My iPod is packed with songs ranging from Celtic fiddle music to reggae, punk classics to moody and brooding alternative, bubble-gum pop to dirty R&B. From Nine Inch Nails to Etta James, I can always find something that suits my frame of mind.

Recently one of my friends was talking about the allure of the mix tape. I absolutely agree with her. From the time I really starting listening to music, I made my own combinations of songs based on my favorite selections off the radio or chosen from my own music collection. I remember preferring the K-Tel mix albums of hit songs by various artists over most of the albums released by a single band or singer. It was rare that I liked every song on an album back then, and that became increasingly true in later years. (Some memorable exceptions: Billy Joel, Def Leppard, U2, The Police, Tracy Chapman, Depeche Mode.) One of those mix albums in my collection that I remember included "Pop Muzik" by M, "Blue Morning, Blue Day" by Foreigner, and "Lonesome Loser" by the Little River Band.

Making a special mix of songs for someone or just for yourself that reflects an emotion or a moment in time is like trapping an insect in amber. Even if the emotions change or that moment is long gone, the music can take you right back there.

I love iTunes and digital music for the way it has made the ability to create your own playlist with any combination of music so much simpler. Whether it's work-out music, driving music, music for a romantic evening or music to wake you up, you can now easily access whatever music suits your mood or your occasion and you don't have to buy a full album for the two songs that you like.

What was on my playlist while I was out enjoying the sunshine on this beautiful day? Since I had no iPod with me, I listened to my tunes outside Palm Coast Coffee where the musicians sang a wide range of songs accompanied by guitar, accordion, and even bagpipes today. That's right, bagpipes.

Another thing you might not know about me...I LOVE bagpipes. I've spent many years attending Celtic music festivals, Highland games and the like, and I am absolutely enamored with the music there. Fiddles, whistles, pipes and drums make my heart sing. There is nothing like hearing those first notes of "Scotland The Brave" from a gigantic massed band. So now that St. Patrick's Day is approaching, I'll break out my March standards that include tunes by The Dropkick Murphys, The Pogues, The Chieftans, Jeremy Kittle, and Solas with pub essentials like "Whiskey in the Jar," "The Wild Rover," and, of course, "The Unicorn Song."

And I'll wrap up here with a little bit of trivia and a tune to get you ready for St. Patty's Day. "The Unicorn Song," while a big hit for The Irish Rovers, was actually written by that wonderful poetic genius Shel Silverstein whose books "Where the Sidewalk Ends" and "The Giving Tree" are some of my favorites. (And -- a postscript here -- he also penned Johnny Cash's "A Boy Named Sue" and "On the Cover of Rolling Stone" which landed Dr. Hook in that very spot!) I just discovered this nugget of information today, so I thought I'd share. For those of you who have never heard (or heard of) "The Unicorn Song," here you go. I hope it makes you too smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment