Monday, May 2, 2011

Justice Will Be Done

On September 11, 2001, I was pulling into the parking lot at my office when I heard the report on the radio that a plane had flown into the World Trade Center in New York. I remember shaking my head and wondering what kind of idiot pilot could fly a little plane into the side of a building, and what in the world they were doing flying that low in the city at all. When I came upstairs to my office, a few of us were discussing that strange report when someone came in to tell us that another plane had just hit the building. For the rest of the day we, just like the rest of the nation, were glued to radios and televisions for minute by minute news relating to what we quickly became aware was a terrorist attack on the United States.

It was an awful, awful day that I will never forget. I remember lighting luminaries in the driveway with my friend, Lisa, and wondering when the horror would end. So many innocent lives lost. Stories of terror and fear tempered only by amazing acts of heroism and an outpouring of true humanity.

On May 1, 2011, President Obama announced that the mastermind behind the terrible attacks on 9-11, Osama bin Laden, was killed by U.S. forces in a firefight in Pakistan. Former President George W. Bush, who was in office on 9-11 perhaps sums it up best: "This momentous achievement marks a victory for America, for people who seek peace around the world, and for all who lost loved ones on September 11, 2001. The fight against terror goes on, but tonight America has sent an unmistakable message: No matter how long it takes, justice will be done."

Thank you to the men and women who provide me with the blanket of freedom under which I sleep. Your vigilance and dedication are greatly appreciated. Job well done...now on to the next one. God bless you and keep you safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment