Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Smiling When No One Else Is Around

If you smile when no one else is around, you really mean it.  ~Andy Rooney

I'm still on that crazy, twisty, up and down rollercoaster ride of life, going at breakneck speed, but want to assure you followers that while I may not have been able to take the time to blog every day (or even every week, sadly), I am definitely still taking the time to smile! Or, actually, smiling during the moments of these busy days. And, yes, I'm often smiling when no one else is around.

Some of the things that have made me happy since my last post: the smell of confederate jasmine, the blooming of the azaleas, and the pure, unadulterated beauty of spring. The feel of my toes in the sand. The breathtaking view of the full moon shining brightly in a clear night sky. The love of a community that rallys around one of its own. The joy of answered prayers. The ability of an impromptu dinner picnic at the beach to calm the turbulence in my mind. Nutella cake pops . . . and red velvet ones too (and I'm not talking about the ones at Starbucks either)! The pride I have in my son when I see how happy he is to read a book of his own choosing from start to finish without help. The daily discovery of more new music to suit . . . or alter . . . my mood. Unexpected compliments and compliments from unexpected sources. New and delicious flavors of Moo Cow Ice Cream. The strength of old friendships and the pleasure of building new ones. The ability and opportunity to laugh out loud every single day. The fact that there are more tears of laughter in my life than tears of sadness or pain.


Over the past few weeks a dear friend of mine, a vivacious woman who is a loving wife and mother of two young boys, has been enduring a struggle with a very serious medical condition. She discovered that she would require a type of brain surgery that many surgeons consider too risky to perform. Despite her fear, she faced this obstacle with determination and grace, and came through the procedure with near miraculous results. Her post-surgery progress has been nothing short of amazing. That is what a positive attitude, strong will, and abundant faith and love can do. It is truly a sight to behold. 

It also reminds me to greet each day with a smile because every day is a gift. Whatever the day might bring, I am determined to embrace the joy and challenge it brings and continue to smile . . . even when no one else is looking. 






No comments:

Post a Comment